Swedish 20 kronor Oscar II
Tavex is pleased to offer the 20 kroner Oscar II gold coin, part of Sweden’s most treasured gold coin series. Swedish 10 kroner were first struck in 1873 following the establishment of what would become the world’s most successful gold-backed monetary agreement, the Scandinavian Currency Union.
- 20 kroner form part of Sweden’s most famous gold coinage. Swedish gold kroner issued from 1873 to 1925 are associated with a period in Sweden’s history marked by peace, a rise in general prosperity and, most importantly, four decades of stable prices.
- 20 kroner are perfect for coin collections. These coins were at the heart of the Scandinavian Currency Union, an almost perfect monetary system of the time, which makes them a great pick for historical coin collections
- 20 kroner coins are wonderful gifts. This coin comes in an affordable weight, making them a perfect gift for a newborn or for those who hold Sweden in high esteem.
- 20 kroner gold coins are money. They are exempt from Value Added Tax, and as such are exchangeable throughout Europe by bullion dealers and investors alike
- 20 kroner are the equivalent of savings. Swedish 20 gold kroner are an ideal choice for any long-term saver who appreciates the security and stability of owning physical gold coins.
- 20 kroner gold coins are an excellent way to diversify your portfolio. Gold’s low correlation with other financial assets makes the gold coins serve as a portfolio hedge against market risk.
20 kroner gold coins – the Scandinavian gold standard
Whilst it is maybe impossible to create a flawless monetary system, the Scandinavian Currency Union (SCU) formed by Sweden and Denmark in 1873 and which Norway joined later in 1875 was probably the closest to perfect monetary harmony that had ever been conceived between different countries.
|Nominal value||Dimensions||Fineness||Product weight in grams||Gold weight in grams||Gold weight in Troy ounces|
|20 kronor||23.00 mm||900||8.96060 g||8.06454g||0.26|
The 20 kronor Oscar II gold coins were issued from 1873 to 1902.
Obverse: The obverse portrays King Oscar II. Around his effigy is the text “OSCAR II SVERIGES OCH NORGES KONUNG” which translates as “Oscar II King of Sweden and Norway”. Under the king’s neckline is the year of mintage.
Reverse: The reverse depicts the coat of arms of Sweden. It is extremely rich in detail and contains a shield draped with an ermine cape and topped with a crown. The coat of arms is half encircled by the text “BRÖDRAFOLKENS VÄL”, and the the denomination “20 kronor”.
Purity: The Oscar II 20 kronor is a 21.6 karat gold coin which means it is composed of 21.6/24 = 90% gold and the rest of the coin contains copper. The gold – copper alloy makes the surface of the coin more durable and less prone to scratches and marks.
Packaging: Each coin is individually packaged in a hard plastic capsule.
When placing an order through our online shop, you can choose to have the products delivered to your local post office or to collect them in person at one of our offices in Stockholm.
Delivery by PostNord: all orders are fully insured and trackable. The package is shipped the same day after we receive your payment and will arrive to your local post office within 1-3 working days.
Self pick-up: you are welcome to come and collect your products at one of our offices in Stockholm the same day we notify you that we have received your payment.